Smile lines are also known as laugh lines. These types of wrinkles develop around the sides of the mouth and sometimes around the eyes. However, they are most noticeable around the mouth area. Aging can cause these lines to become more apparent. So, if you are wondering how to get rid of smile lines, then you came to the right place. In this article, we will discuss all of your treatment options.
What Causes Smile Lines?
Causes of these lines can vary from person to person. However, the primary causes of smile lines include loss of volume, elasticity and collagen, dehydrated skin, genetics, smoking, aging, and sun damage. A consultation with your cosmetic provider will be able to identify the true root cause of your smile lines and help you get the most effective treatment.
How Can I Prevent Smile Lines?
Good lifestyle habits at a young age can help deter the formation of laugh lines around your mouth. One of the most important things that you can do is ensure you always use sunscreen. This will help decrease any sun damage and prevent the formation of wrinkles.
A skincare routine that you can stick to every day will also help ensure that your skin is properly hydrated. Ensuring your skin is hydrated is so important, even if smile lines have already begun to form. You want to make sure that you are drinking adequate amounts of water each day, and try to avoid caffeine and alcohol. These types of drinks can cause you to dehydrate easily.
Be sure that you are washing your face twice a day and applying a moisturizer that caters to your skin type. In addition, getting adequate nutrition and exercising will also affect your skin. Healthy life choices will positively affect the whole body.
Also, as a smoker, you are at a greater risk of developing laugh lines.
There are a variety of treatment options available, but it will all depend on what is causing your smile lines, and how aggressively you want to treat them. We recommend a consultation as a first step when searching for a way of how to get rid of smile lines.
At SeaMist we have in-depth knowledge about treating wrinkles and what will work best for your skin type. While some products offer wrinkle treatment as a benefit, they will not be a permanent solution. Here are some of your options when it comes to treating your laugh lines.
Fillers for smile lines are a top choice among those looking to decrease these types of wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid fillers can be injected and results are typically immediate. If for any reason you do not like these fillers, they are reversible.
Common filler options include:
- Juvéderm – Temporarily smooth away fine lines and moderate to severe wrinkles. It works by hydrating and replenishing volume in the dermis. The treatment only takes about 15 minutes and results can be seen right away. Juvéderm works well on fine lines and wrinkles, as well as contouring the face. Results may last anywhere between 6 to 9 months. Once results start to fade you can schedule another appointment with your cosmetic provider.
- Restylane – Provides improved results in fine lines and wrinkles in the face, lips, hands, and other areas. Results are immediate, and it will all depend on where you get them injected as to how long they may last. Collagen production will continue to increase even once the filler is absorbed by the body. Follow up injections of Restylane are suggested to help maintain results.
Check out our blog to learn more about Juvederm vs Restylane.
Radiesse and Sculptra are also available. Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxyapatite, and Sculptra is made of poly-L-Lactic acid. They are injected deep into the facial tissue and may provide a more permanent result.
Botox is a neuromodulator, which acts differently than fillers. It works to relax muscles, which will then allow wrinkles to become smooth and less noticeable. Other neuromodulator options would include Dysport and Xeomin. Results typically last 3 months and follow up injections will be needed if you wish to maintain results. Your cosmetic provider will evaluate your skin, past medical history, and provide a plan that will work best for you. Check out our blog to learn more about Botox for men.
If you are looking for a huge transformation that provides permanent results, then you may consider your surgical options. Surgery will be sought by those who are dealing with more wrinkles than just smile lines.
While this may be a permanent solution for your smile lines, you have to also factor in the recovery time and cost. With injections, you can go back to your normal routine right after you leave your provider’s office. Plus, they tend to be a more cost-effective solution for those looking to lessen the appearance of smile lines.
Understanding your options and weighing all the pros and cons will help you make the best decision on your treatment plan.
With the advancements in technology, cosmetic providers are now able to offer skin resurfacing techniques via laser treatments. The type of laser and depth of treatment determine the swelling and pain. Using a non-ablative laser, patients and doctors commonly compare the treatment to a rubber band snapping on your face. This will help reduce skin spots and wrinkles. A consultation with SeaMist Medspa will help you decide what treatment option is best for you.
Collagen Induction Therapy
Collagen induction therapy is also known as microneedling or skin needling. This treatment will increase the natural collagen production in the skin. Age causes the skin to lose collagen and elasticity. Needling will enhance the collagen and help wrinkles to become softer and filled in.
At SeaMist we offer multiple therapies. SkinPen is an FDA approved device that causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process. Factora is an FDA-cleared treatment to treat facial rejuvenation and resurfacing with a combination of microneedling and radiofrequency. Morpheus is another fractional radiofrequency treatment that treats into the deepest layers of your skin. You will gradually see results, and the effects of collagen production can continue for up to two years. Depending on the treatment, you may need three to six treatments total, but your provider will evaluate your skin and give you a treatment plan.
If you are looking for an affordable way of how to get rid of smile lines, then you may consider trying some products as a first step. Retinol is one ingredient that can help improve collagen production, and elasticity, regulate oily skin and breakouts.
In addition, products offering ingredients such as Vitamin C, peptides, and hydroxy acids can also be effective in treating wrinkles. We recommend using skincare products in addition to your treatments for optimal results.
Products we recommend include:
- Renewing Retinol Serum – Depletes fine lines, wrinkles, and provides smoother, firmer, and even skin tone. It contains soothing green tea polyphenols which help deliver retinol into the skin without irritation.
- Sunrise Sunset Cream – This night cream helps combat dryness and provides nutrients back into the skin. Includes high-performance ingredients such as peptides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide. Repairs the skin’s barrier function, restores firmness and helps decrease signs of aging.
- iS Clinical Youth Intensive Creme – Rich and luxurious age-defying formula, which helps decrease fine lines and wrinkles. Improves hydration and firmness, smooth skin, and provides a more youthful complexion. Contains the purest and most effective moisturizers, antioxidants, resurfacing acids, and growth factor.
Visit our shop where you can find other anti-aging products.
How to Get Rid of Smile Lines
From cosmetic fillers to skincare, there are many options when it comes to treating your smile lines. You have to decide which option is best for you and make sure that you stick to the plan to get the best results.
If you are ready to explore your options with a cosmetic provider, give us a call today. SeaMist Medspa offers a variety of options that can effectively treat your smile lines and get you back to feeling and looking your best.