Unwanted and unattractive facial and body hair: these are problems that many of us have dealt with, and can cause unwanted distress and concern about our appearance.
The American Academy of Dermatology reports that many Americans suffer from unsightly facial and body hair – and want to find solutions to the problem.
Contact SeaMist MedSpa today to learn how we can help you start the process of removing unwanted hair and regaining self-confidence and self-esteem!
There are two classifications of excessive hair growth:
- Hypertrichosis: This condition is the growth of extra body hair in both normal and abnormal patterns. Hypertrichosis can be caused by genetic factors, medications, malnutrition, hormones, tumors and metabolic issues.
- Hirsutism: This condition causes excessive hair growth in women – but features male patterns. These include beards, mustaches or hair on the lower belly. This condition may be linked to hormonal problems, medications, tumors or genetic factors.
Many treatment options for removing unwanted hair have been around for decades, such as shaving and waxing. But these methods offer only temporary solutions and have varying success rates.
If you have tried these old methods and remain frustrated with unwanted hair growth, it may be time to consider laser hair removal offered by SeaMist MedSpa. Our highly trained staff uses lasers to safely and effectively remove areas of unwanted hair. The procedure causes minimal discomfort and less chance of complications compared to other hair-reduction techniques.
Lasers come with cooling devices to decrease any discomfort and protects the skin’s top layer from excessive heat and potential pigmentation changes. Laser and intense pulsed light treatments shoot concentrated light into skin. This is absorbed by the dark pigment found in hair follicle shafts.
Because hair continues to grow, repeat treatments are likely needed to destroy the hair follicles. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given the green light for using lasers to promote hair reduction.
Here is some info from the American Academy of Dermatology:
- Lasers offer the best results to those with light skin and dark hair because laser light is not highly absorbed by dark pigments in surrounding skin
- There are lasers with longer wavelengths that can effectively treat those with darker skin
- Treatments should be performed by trained professionals like those who work at SeaMist MedSpa
- At least three treatments are typically needed to achieve permanent results
- Dark hair responds better to laser hair removal treatments
- Lighter hair is less responsive, but medications are available to increase effectiveness
If you are looking to try laser hair removal, it’s best to avoid tanning for six weeks before treatment. Use of sunscreen during that time is also recommended.
There are side effects to laser hair removal treatment, including swelling, minor discomfort and redness that can last a few days. But these are not major issues for most patients.
Results you can expect to see include:
- Up to 25 percent hair growth reduction with each treatment.
- Treatments are performed again every month to two months, depending on your individual needs.
- Hair that may come back after treatment is typically finer in texture and lighter in color.
You should avoid exposure to the sun after treatments and use sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30.
While at-home treatments have come on the scene in recent years, most agree that laser hair removal is best performed by trained professionals in a professional setting. – and that’s what SeaMist MedSpa can offer!