What Is Laser Hair Removal?
In Rhode Island, one of the most requested Medspa treatments is laser hair removal. This is the process of eliminating unwanted hair on the body, which will save you both time and money while resulting in permanent silky-smooth skin.
At Rhode Island’s SeaMist MedSpa in South Kingstown, our friendly and professional staff is prepared to help you get rid of unwanted hair with the latest in laser hair removal technology. Laser hair removal can be performed almost anywhere on the body where unwanted hair exists.
Our laser hair removal treatments cater to all skin types, including darker complexions. We offer the latest technology in the industry, which provides you with optimal results. Caring for unwanted hair in as little treatments as possible, making our hair removal treatments the most cost-effective solutions on the market.
Types of Excessive Hair Growth
There are two classifications of excessive hair growth:
- Hypertrichosis: This condition is the growth of extra body hair in both normal and abnormal patterns. Hypertrichosis can be caused by genetic factors, medications, malnutrition, hormones, tumors, and metabolic issues.
- Hirsutism: This condition causes excessive hair growth in women – but features male patterns. These include beards, mustaches, or hair on the lower belly. This condition may be linked to hormonal problems, medications, tumors, or genetic factors.
Why Laser Hair Removal?
Many treatment options for removing unwanted hair have been around for decades, such as shaving and waxing. But these methods offer only temporary solutions and have varying success rates.
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to permanently remove stubborn and unwanted hair. This treatment is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures in the USA. Lasers can remove hair from anywhere on the body, including the face, arms, legs, underarms, bikini line, and more.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
At SeaMist Medspa, we use state-of-the-art lasers which emit highly concentrated light into the hair follicles. The pigment within the follicles will absorb the light resulting in permanent prevention of future hair growth while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged. Lasers come with cooling devices to decrease any discomfort and protect the skin’s top layer from excessive heat and potential pigmentation changes.
Because hair continues to grow, repeat treatments are likely needed to destroy the hair follicles. Laser hair removal is repeated until the growth of hair is stopped completely. Providing you with satisfactory results and improving your confidence.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given the green light for using lasers to promote hair reduction.
Reasons For Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is available for both women and men. Everyone has their own reason for wanting laser hair removal. One of the biggest perks of this treatment is the confidence that it restores when looking in the mirror. Many women seek laser hair removal treatments to help with the unwanted growth of facial hair that is caused by hormonal fluctuations, age, genetics, and other medical conditions.
No matter what your reasons are, SeaMist Medspa in Rhode Island is here to care for you. We offer a number of treatments, but laser hair removal is by far one of the most popular choices.
Am I a Good Candidate?
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective treatment for unwanted hair growth. There are very few side effects, and the treatment has little to no downtime. Therefore, most individuals would be ideal for laser treatments if they have excessive hair growth that they want to get rid of.
When you come in for your consultation with us, we will go over your past medical history and get a current list of medications that you are on. We will explore all of your treatment options and help you decide if laser hair treatment is the best solution for you.
Areas of Treatment
Laser hair removal treatments can be used to remove hair from the following areas:
- Upper Lip
- Bikini Area
Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal
Side effects may include swelling, minor discomfort, and redness that can last a few days. But these are not major issues for most patients.
How Many Hair Removal Treatments Will I Need?
There are three phases of hair growth. For laser hair removal to be the most effective in disabling the hair follicle, the hair will need to be in the active growth cycle. Most individuals can achieve their desired results in 6 treatments.
However, everyone is different, so you may require less or more treatments. Once treatment is completed, it could take up to 2 weeks for the hair to fall out. The cost of hair removal will depend on the number of sessions that you need to get permanent results.
Should I Try Home Hair Removal Products Before Having Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
Many of our patients will try at home products before seeking laser hair removal. These may include waxing, tweezing, hair removal lotions, and even at-home lasers. These products may provide a temporary removal of hair, but the hair generally grows back in a matter of weeks or days.
Laser hair removal at SeaMist Medspa is the most effective way to decrease the growth of unwanted facial and body hair. While at-home treatments are an option, most agree that laser hair removal is best performed by trained and skilled professionals.
Results may vary, but on average you can expect to see:
- Up to 25 percent hair growth reduction with each treatment.
- Treatments are performed again every month to two months, depending on your individual needs.
- Hair that may come back after treatment is typically finer in texture and lighter in color.
Tips From The American Academy of Dermatology:
The American Academy of Dermatology reports that many Americans suffer from unsightly facial and body hair – and want to find solutions to the problem.
- Lasers offer the best results to those with light skin and dark hair because laser light is not highly absorbed by dark pigments in the surrounding skin.
- There are lasers with longer wavelengths that can effectively treat those with darker skin.
- Treatments will only be performed by trained professionals like those who work at SeaMist MedSpa.
- At least three treatments are typically needed to achieve permanent results.
- Dark hair responds better to laser hair removal treatments.
- Lighter hair is less responsive, but medications are available to increase effectiveness.
- If you are looking to try laser hair removal, it’s best to avoid tanning for six weeks before treatment.
- You should avoid exposure to the sun after treatments and use a sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of at least 30.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Our highly trained staff uses lasers to safely and effectively remove areas of unwanted hair. The procedure causes minimal discomfort and less chance of complications compared to other hair-reduction techniques.
If you have tried these old methods and remain frustrated with unwanted hair growth, it may be time to consider laser hair removal. Contact SeaMist MedSpa today to learn how we can help you start the process of removing unwanted hair and regaining self-confidence!